The things that would stop with a fed gov’t shutdown:
– the IRS will stop processing paper tax returns
– the Small Business Administration will stop making loans
– federal home loan guarantees will be put on hold.
– 800,000 gov’t workers will not get a paycheck
– National Park Service sites and the Smithsonian Institution would be shuttered
– the Cherry Blossom Festival parade scheduled for this weekend in Washington would be cancelled. (which made me cry)
– U.S. troops would be paid through April 8, but after that, paychecks to members of the military, including those in war zones, would stop.
– The National Institutes of Health will stop accepting new patients, and put clinical trials on hold.
– The Environmental Protection Agency would stop reviewing environmental impact statements, which will slow crucial energy related projects.